Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Review: The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella



Title: The Undomestic Goddess
Author: Sophie Kinsella
First Published: October 2007
Publisher: Bantam Dell
My rating: 4/5


Synopsis:

High powered lawyer Samantha Sweeting had never made a mistake, and then she made a big one. Her one mistake cost her firm one million pounds. Unable face her mistake, Samantha runs away. In a trance, she gets on a train and finds herself in the middle of nowhere. One lie after another and she is hired as a housekeeper for a family who has no idea who she really is. She’s an absolute disaster in the kitchen, has never ironed in her life, but manages to pick up domestic skills while learning about life, love, and friendship.

My thoughts:

Sophie Kinsella has been one of my favorite authors from the very first time I've read synopsis of her novels. I have always thought of her as a writer who never fails to add humor to her stories. And when after reading The Undomestic Goddess, I was proven right.

I received the book as a gift from my friend who is a psychometrician/book blogger/writer/composer/singer/photographer (I look up to her as someone who can do anything and has tons of talent) Mary Ruth Baloy for my 20th birthday. And when I had time to read a book I didn't waste my time. I was able to finish the book in 2 days. This book was so good I couldn't hardly put it down.

I liked the protagonist of the story Samantha Sweeting. She had her mind set on the things she want and works really hard for it. What I don't like about her is that she couldn't find some "me" time. She is always so busy that all she ever do was work! So even before I started reading (having read the summary), I was really waiting for the part where she would be a housekeeper. It piqued my interest how a high-paid lawyer would end up working as a housekeeper.

Humor was of course present. Just reading about Samantha's misadventures on housekeeping gave me a good laugh. Imagine a well-educated and sophisticated woman facing the challenges of knowing how to turn on the microwave or even finding out what an iron was.

Ah, Romance. I find their gardener as attractive as Samantha did. Hihihi. Anyway, I wouldn't go through the details but I gotta say, I so love the romantic feel of the story being set in a romantic place. Although I think the ending was a bit of a cliff hanger, I was very much satisfied that it was a happy ending. :)

Do try reading this book. No regrets, I promise. ;)


Your friendly neighborhood elyen,
Melody Elrise

P.S. This is my first time to write a book review so please bear with me ._.

No comments:

Post a Comment