Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Review: A Knight In Shining Armor by Jude Deveraux



Title: A Knight in Shining Armor
Author: Jude Deveraux
First Published: January 1, 1989
Publisher: Pocket Books
My rating: 5/5


Synopsis:

Dougless Montgomery couldn't believe it. She had tried to be the very essence of the modern American woman -- competent yet sexy, financially independent yet ready to love and be loved. She had planned this holiday tour with special care, wanting everything to be perfect for Robert, the man she hoped one day to marry. Yet here she was, after a stupid quarrel, abandoned in a church in the midst of rural England. Abandoned, with no luggage, no money, no credit cards, while Robert drove off without so much as a backward glance. As Dougless lay upon a cold tombstone, crying in fury and frustration, she longed for a knight in shining armor to save her from this abysmal mess. Suddenly, as if in answer to her prayers, the most extraordinary man stood before her.... He was Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck, who accodring to his tombstone had died in 1564. Tall, broad-shouldered, attired in gleaming silver and gold, he was magnificent. He stood in the dim light of the church, thunderstruck, drinking her in: her strange costume, the uncased hair that flowed to her shoulders, her long, lovely, BARE legs. He could scarce keep his wits about him, but of one thing he was certain -- she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. Drawn to his side by a bond so sudden and compelling it overshadowed reason, Dougless knew that Nicholas was nothing less than a miracle: a man who would not seek to change her, who found her perfect, fascinating, just as she was. Yet she could not imagine how strong were the chains that tied them to the past... or the grand adventure that lay before them....

My Review:

Yuzu-chan lent me this book. She said she owned this book when she was 15 years old and she loved it. And obviously, I super loved it too giving it a rating of 5 out of 5. :)I borrowed this book for the 2015 Reading Challenge. So I crossed out "A BOOK WITH MAGIC".

This book wasn't actually the book I was supposed to read after Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  I just tried to take a peek but when I did, I wanted to finish the whole story! The reason was because of the emotions this book gave me. I laughed, I was annoyed, I got mad,  I learned and got "onion-eyed". Not just "onion-eyed", I cried buckets!

From the very start of the story, I got really annoyed by the way Robert (Dougless' Boyfriend) treated her. What annoys me most is that even though Dougless Montgomery already sees that Robert along with his daughter ("pudgy" daughter as Dougless would describe her) is treating her badly, she still holds on to the worthless relationship. But then I kinda understand why Dougless tolerates this and just stay silent so that their relationship would work out. She had her mind set that Robert is the best man she could have as a husband since she had so many failed relationship with guys who are either douches or criminals. Things just got too far when Dougless ended up abandoned in the middle of nowhere when she was supposed to be having the vacation of her life with his soon to be fiance (or so she thought). To make the matters worse, Gloria snatches her purse leaving her with no money. The worst thing is that Dougless was left "moneyless" and heartbroken as well.

Being Dougless, she broke down and cried her heart out in front of the tomb of Nicholas Stafford, Earl of Thornwyck. She wished for a knight in shining armor which she achieved when Nicholas himself stood before her wearing his armor of pure silver. Nicholas was utterly confused and accused Dougless of being a witch for her cry was what he heard before he arrived in a different place and obviously different time. What I liked most about Dougless personality is tat she is willing to help anyone in need although for her that is one of her weaknesses since she is usually just "used" because of that. She helped Nicholas in spite the fact that she thought he was just pretending to be an Earl from the 15th century. 

I have already read so many romance novels but this one is quite different. It is not the typical love story I usually read.  The story is unpredictable, at first I thought the story would just end as Nicholas found out who the traitor was, but when Dougless found out through history books that nothing was changed then for some reason she was sent back in time, THINGS JUST GOT SERIOUS! LOL. I was scared for Dougless, who knows what could happen to her there specially that she is thought of a witch. And for all I know witches are burnt to death during that time. But then she somehow made her way to the Stafford household and got people's trust. Except for Nicholas (for she was sent back in time 4 years before she and Nicholas actually met). Maybe this proves that love knows no boundaries, for Nicholas somehow managed to remember Dougless and his love for her. Dougless managed to finish her mission of changing history and got back to the twentieth century. What I didn't understand is the logic that if they made love, she would return to her own time which actually happened after they made love near the fountain.

I thought Dougless was going to meet a descendant of Nicholas Stafford but what happened is that he met someone else on her way home on an airplane. Reed Stanford, an architect and an american. I guess he is an incarnation of Nicholas Stafford. I like how things or people in the twentieth century are connected to those from the 15th century.I also learned a lot from this book, about how people were during the 15th century. Without doubt,  Ms. Jude really researched before she wrote the story. 

I super love this story. I want a copy of my own and I am hunting down the other books in the Montgomery-Taggert Series.

Until next blogpost~! See yah~!



Your friendly neighborhood elyen,

Melody Elrise

No comments:

Post a Comment